Mekelle University, Mekelle, Tigray, Ethiopia
History of Mekelle University
Mekelle University (MU) is found at the town of Mekelle in the Tigray Region (Province) of Northern Ethiopia, 783 kilometres north of Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian capital.
The merger the two former colleges, Mekelle Business College (established in 1987) and Mekelle University College (established in 1993), MU was established as a University in May 2000 by the Government of Ethiopia (Council of Ministers, Regulations No. 61/1999 of Article 3), as an autonomous higher education institution.
At present MU hosts over 31,000 students in the regular, continuing education, summer, evening, distance and in-service programmes in both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
In such a historic short period of time, MU has grown fast in terms of student capacity, stuff profile, teaching-learning and research resources and has gained tremendous national and international reputation for collaborative research projects and community services. Since its establishment, it has proved to be one of the fastest growing Universities in Ethiopia.
The mission of our university is pursuing academics, research and community service and contributing to the advancement of knowledge, economic growth, and social welfare to national and international community through empowering local communities, excelling in innovation and entrepreneurship, and partnering with national and international institutions.
By 2025, Mekelle University aspires to become one of the top 25 universities in Africa.
The University’s commitment to pursuing excellence in all its core business is reflected in the major values expressed below:
- Quality service delivery
- Academic freedom
- Good governance
- Culture of fighting corruption
- Sensitivity to cross-cutting issues
Facts about MU (As of January 2018)
- 6 Campuses: Endayesus Campus (Main Campus); Adihaki Campus; Ayder Campus; Kalamino Campus; Aynalem Campus and Quiha Campus.
- Fulltime Academic Staff: 1,800.
- Student population: 26,371 undergraduate; 4,965 Masters; 140 Ph.D.; 248 Specialty & 9 sub-specialty.
- 7 Colleges (43 Departments); 11 Institutes (40 Departments) and 10 Schools.
- College of Dryland Agriculture and Natural Resources(CDANR),
- College of Health Science(CHS),
- College of Veterinary (CVM),
- College of Social Sciences and Languages (CSSL),
- College of Natural and computational Sciences (CNCS),
- College of Business and Economics(CBE),
- College of Law and Governance (CLG).
- Ethiopian Institute of Technology – Mekelle (EiT-M),
- Institute of Paleo-environment & Heritage Conservation(IPHC),
- Institute of Pedagogical Sciences (IPS),
- Institute of Geo-information & Earth Observation Sciences(IGEOS),
- Institute of Climate and Society (ICS),
- Institute of Gender, Environment and Development Studies (IGEDS),
- Institute of Water and Environment (IWE),
- Mekelle Institute of Technology (MIT),
- Institute of Population Studies (IPoSt),
- Institute of Energy (IoE)
- Institute of Mountain Research & Development (IMRaD)
- School of Earth Science
- School of Architecture
- School of Civil Engineering
- School of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- School of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- School of Computing
- School of Medicine
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Public Health
- School of Law
For more on Mekelle University, visit: http://www.mu.edu.et/index.php/about-mu1